mineral feeders

For discussion of tools like shearing gear, trailers, handling facilities all the way down the line to hoof shears. Sources, experiences, etc.

mineral feeders

Postby Salasfarm » Fri May 06, 2011 10:01 am

Any suggestions on a very portable mineral feeder to use for a flock of 40 ewes and 70 lambs? I move my flock every day or two and am not a very large person. Have used open pans/tubs in the past and am looking for something with a little less waste potential. Cost is a consideration. Thanks, Barb
Salasfarm
Old Hand

Re: mineral feeders

Postby K Bar K Farm » Fri May 06, 2011 12:10 pm

We use Townsend weather vane mineral feeders (medium size). This size works well for lambs as well as adult sheep.

http://www.townsendequipment.com/feeders.html

We initially bought these due to the round base which makes it easy to tip up and move to another pasture. Other suppliers have since developed similar bases. We also purchased them due to the ball bearings in the base, allowing it to spin freely (to turn the opening away from the wind) with only occasional lubrication. Some of the others out there just have a base with a hole that sits on the post, not sure if anyone else has ball bearings.

We've been happy with them- some are going on 10 years old and still going strong. Haven't tried any other kind, so can't compare.
Kathy Soder
K Bar K Farm
Production-oriented, Performance-tested© Polled Dorsets
First to import Poll Dorset genetics from England in 50 years!
Central Pennsylvania
K Bar K Farm
Old Hand

Postby Justin-PA » Fri May 06, 2011 12:32 pm

I just bought a bunch of the Sydell 25lb weather vane feeders (#804)...

http://www.sydell.com/products.asp?id=37&title=Poly%20Mineral%20and%20Grain%20Feeders

After trying a lot of different methods, this is the first one that has kept the mineral dry. I have essentially zero loss (unless you count what falls off the ewes lips into the drinking water :shock: ). The ones Kathy linked are very similar, but the Sydells don't have the round base. With the round base, I can picture one tipping it up and "rolling" it to the next field, which could be even easier.
Justin Wetzel
Wetzel Sheep Ranch
Wattsburg, PA
Justin-PA
Old Hand

Postby K Bar K Farm » Fri May 06, 2011 12:38 pm

Justin-PA wrote: With the round base, I can picture one tipping it up and "rolling" it to the next field, which could be even easier.

That's exactly what I do. Or, for long distance hauls, I put them on the trailer pulled behind the ATV.

Easy to do with one person.
Kathy Soder
K Bar K Farm
Central Pennsylvania
K Bar K Farm
Old Hand

Postby Mac Stewart » Fri May 06, 2011 2:27 pm

The mineral feeders I use are not real easy to move but they are super cheap and virtually indestructible. Lay a tire down flat on the ground. Set another tire verticle on top of the first tire. Bolt the 2 together with 4 bolts. They are not weather proof but as long as there are sheep consuming the mineral it stays dry enough. Wrap a chunk of rope around it and pull it with the honda to move it.
Mac Stewart
Old Hand

Postby Salasfarm » Fri May 06, 2011 9:18 pm

Thanks for the reply Kathy. Could you give me a ball park idea of the weight and base size? Don't own an ATV but my APV (all purpose vehicle ) is a small utility tractor with 60" mower. My 50 gal water tank is mounted on the mower. Can you roll the feeder without emptying the mineral?
Salasfarm
Old Hand

Postby K Bar K Farm » Sat May 07, 2011 7:52 pm

The ring that sits on the ground is 3-4' in diameter. Yes, you can leave the mineral in it to roll it. Total weight isn't a lot (I can pick it up if necessary), but it's difficult to lift for one person as the top will lift off the base. If I need to load it on the low-profile trailer behind the ATV, I just roll it up on the edge of the trailer, then 'tip' the base into the trailer.
Kathy Soder
K Bar K Farm
Central Pennsylvania
K Bar K Farm
Old Hand

Postby KathyF » Sun May 08, 2011 9:47 am

There is also this one: http://www.sheepman.com/ecommerce/ecomm ... l%20feeder

This one used to be a round base as I have one and it is easy to roll around and I am able to pick it up. The top does not come off. I am not sure how easy it would be for me to move as I would not be able to move it with these flat sides.

Kathy
KathyF
Old Hand

Return to Tools of the trade