lamb prices

A place to discuss where and how to market our products. Users can share experiences with value-added enterprises, ask for information on costs, and find out who's paying what for what kind of lambs.
NOTE: If you have a service or product to advertise, please see the Marketplace section below.

lamb prices

Postby pricehairsheep » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:44 pm

Whats up with lamb prices in New Holland?? They have been droping the last couple of weeks. I guess they heard I was ready to sell some lambs!!
Preston Price
Price Sheep Farm
Bristol VA.
pricehairsheep
Old Hand

Re: lamb prices

Postby Bill Fosher » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:50 pm

The usual fall decline in prices, I'd wager. Lots of people shipping stuff right now to get the numbers down before winter.

Prices will probably pick up in a few weeks with Eid al Adha coming up on Nov. 7.
Bill Fosher
Westmoreland, NH
Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby dhibbeln » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:31 pm

There is also Rosh Hashanah happening today 28th of September. So lots of lamb has been coming to market for sale on Arthur ave in Brooklyn. I know a rabbi who owns a butcher shop and he's been real busy this month.

Dave
NE of Albany, NY & 1,543 ft from VT
Dall Hollow Farm
Texas Dalls & they're NOT goats!
home of "stotting" lambs
dhibbeln
Old Hand

Postby Justin-PA » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:18 pm

Well everybody backed off taking lambs to New Holland this week and prices shot back up! With Eid al Adha coming, I usually take them the Monday before. But I've noticed that prices tend to remain strong (and supply light) the week after so it may be worth a gamble (plus the lambs will have gained another couple pounds).
Justin Wetzel
Wetzel Sheep Ranch
Wattsburg, PA
Justin-PA
Old Hand

Postby jpa » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:42 pm

Not as good as we have gotten earlier, but we got $1.70 for 115# lambs at a lamb pool through United producers the last Sat. in September. Can't complain though.

Jason
jpa
Old Hand

Return to Markets and marketing