USA lamb production

A place to discuss where and how to market our products. Users can share experiences with value-added enterprises, ask for information on costs, and find out who's paying what for what kind of lambs.
NOTE: If you have a service or product to advertise, please see the Marketplace section below.

Re: USA lamb production

Postby Island Shepherd » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:57 am

Bill Fosher wrote:I've been saying this for years (although I don't know what ADC means).

Animal Damage Control

Bill Fosher wrote:Here's a story that I shared with another board member earlier this week that I think says something about US agriculture, or at least the subset of it in the Northeast.

That story says it all. I see the same thing on dairy outfits. Barnyard full of 100+ hoss tractors and all the riggin' milking 40 head and crying about no money in it.

Give me a thousand head of cattle with a single strand hot wire at nose height, a dog and an ATV. Some would say you shouldn't have anything more mechanized than a pitchfork.
Island Shepherd
Old Hand

Postby sheepherder56 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:23 am

""Rob we are very similar to you climate wise, and have been able to extend our grazing to Dec 15 to the third week of April or approx 120 days. I could extend it longer, but in December I have to break into breeding groups and that complicates grazing so they go onto bales""

Janet, I assume that you meant me as there are 2 Robs on this discussion. Actually, bringing the ewes in to flush them was one of the reasons that grazing ended when it did. There was still plenty of (very) over mature forage in the paddock they were in.Not flushing feed but would have worked for maintanance That is not really normal for here though, more a product of one of the wetter years I can remember.

Rob
sheepherder56
Old Hand

Postby Lana Rowley » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:06 pm

Island Shepherd wrote:
Woodhill wrote:\http://www.vimeo.com/14970160 Says it better than I can.

Dave

I started to watch this and thought they look just like my sheep....then the man said he buys from Richard Hamilton, which is where we get our replacement fall ewe lambs. I know Richard is going to have plenty of ewe lambs for sale this year, and anybody interested in some very good ewes may look at the ewes in this video. I have no financial stake in this referral just passing along my expercience with Richard and these sheep.

I agree with the labor issues brought up by Dave and Bill. In order to survive this summer with no irrigaton we had to trial sheep to neighbors crops, 2-3 good dogs moved 600-700 ewes and lambs from June 1 to Mid Dec. Had we needed to truck these sheep the cost would have cut into our profit, not to mention the extra stress( and possible health issues) on very young lambs. A good handling system is also a must have.

With lamb prices where they are i have had several people in our area express interest in getting some sheep, of course they did not want to pay much for any bucks i might have for sale :roll:
Lana Mockler Rowley
10-7 Ranch
Oregon
Lana Rowley
Old Hand

Postby Laura L. » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:24 pm

Island Shepherd wrote:Some would say you shouldn't have anything more mechanized than a pitchfork.

Too funny Dave. I like the 4 wheeler as far as something mechanized, but a pitchfork is one of my favorite things to use. It's cheap, no instructions required, multiple uses and it helps me stay in shape.
Laura
Laura L.
Old Hand

Postby Woodhill » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:36 am

Dave
Western Iowa is corn/soybean rotation. There is some continuous corn. The bulldozers are running to clear timbers and clean fence rows. Highest bidder gets the land, whether to purchase or rent, precluding most young people from getting a start. There is tremendous opportunity here and many other places for sheep, as well as significant challenges.
Mike
Mike Park
Woodhillfarm
NSIP Polypay flock
Woodhill
Familiar Face

Postby Island Shepherd » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:14 pm

Janet McNally wrote:... I just did an article for Graze featuring an Ontario farmer who has a mixed organic spelt/soybeans/oats farm combined with sheep. Janet

It came today and I read it. Good story Janet!

The last line says a lot: "A simple change in mindset might be the ticket to improving farm profitability." There was someone on here asking about Canadian Arcotts (or Rideau I forget) a while ago. This family seems to be having good luck with them in this system.

Dave
Island Shepherd
Old Hand

Postby Janet McNally » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:33 am

Rob in Sask. I was referring to Rob in Ont. Not sure how our climate compares to Sask. but it is similar to Ont.

Island Dave, the Boettcher's were truly an impressive operation in every aspect. Much to learn there.

Janet
Janet McNally
Tamarack Prolific and Ile de France crosses
Minnesota
Janet McNally
Old Hand

Postby Billy Foster » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:05 am

Bill and Dave I agree with you guys 100%. I don't like working on equipment I just want to graze sheep.

My father said "it is not what you make, it is what you spend".

Billy
Billy Foster
Old Hand

Previous

Return to Markets and marketing