Stinking dead lamb, how to help the ewe

A place to exchange ideas, stories, and to solve problems related to breeding the flock and delivering lambs.

Stinking dead lamb, how to help the ewe

Postby Redgate » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:14 am

We had an uneasy ewe last night. She didn't look like she was due to lamb immediately but was "off" not eating and a bit of a discharge. We put her in a lambing pen last night, this morning could see feet and she was pushing without much success. We pulled the lamb, it was dead and had been for sometime as it smelled really bad. She is now down in the straw flat out. We gave her a large dose of penpro. Is there anything else we can do for her. We really don't want to lose her.
thanks

Irene
Redgate
Old Hand

Re: Stinking dead lamb, how to help the ewe

Postby Janet McNally » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:45 pm

Hi Irene,

Normally when we pull a dead lamb out of a ewe, the ewe is scarcely off. It is amazing how unfazed they can be, so I am concerned your ewe must be really toxic. It could be there is another lamb in her yet, and also the dead lamb can cause the uterus to become more fragile, and perhaps she ruptured? The only way you will know is to do an exam, but it may be too late as the cervix would have closed by now.

I would suggest consulting a vet as to course of action, and the recommended antibiotics. she might need IV fluids etc.

Janet
Janet McNally
Tamarack Prolific and Ile de France crosses
Minnesota
Janet McNally
Old Hand

Postby dog » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:56 pm

this animal requires a vet. It requires the right antibotic, the required chemicals to reopen the cervix for an inspection for any more lambs or bits and pieces left in and the treatment to flush out the system. If treated right the ewe can survive and more importantly have more lambs in future joinings but it is a job for the vet.
John
dog
Old Hand

Postby DeltaBluez Tess » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:18 pm

If the ewe isn't up after you pull the lamb, but flat out and not interested in anything, then she is bad off...call the vet. A ewe can take a lot of abuse on lambing so to have one, flat out, means she is not well.....if you just pulled the lamb and she is exhausted, that maybe different but what I am reading is the lamb was pulled out a bit ago, she reeks and motionless....dead lamb means she maybe torn up inside, infected, etc. any number of things.......the Vet is the best call.

I had to pull a dead lamb once, it came out in pieces and reeked so bad that I threw up from the smell....the ewe after I pulled the lambed, hopped up and started calling for her baby. I grabbed a bottle baby, slathered some of the dead lamb and liquid on it, and she took it ...sorta, she expected her lamb to be laying down so she could lick it but this lamb was up and crying and running around...you could see the look of puzzlement. she searched the stall very thoroughly and even under the feeder and then concluded that lamb was hers....then turned into a raging bitch when she suddenly saw Tess (who had been in the stall all the time and she had ignored her)...pumped her full of antibiotics and she was fine.....after I had pulled the lamb, after a long labor, I was sure she would not be able to get up. I had to work to get the lamb out and she was wore out.

The next yr and yrs after, she never had any issues and twinned. I was amazed she was able to get up after the long labor and dead lamb but she was raring to go. after the lamb was weaned and brought back into the flock, he towered over her and she still paid attention to him (not nursing but called with the soft mama call)....for some reason she was especially attached to him.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Diane Pagel
DeltaBluez Stockdogs
www.deltabluez.com
www.deltabluez.blogspot.com
Carnation, Wa
DeltaBluez Tess
Old Hand

Postby Redgate » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:39 am

The ewe was up drinking and eatng a bit in the afternoon. She is still not right but hopefully the penpro will work. The sad economic fact is that an an farm vet visit is worth almost as much as the ewe and that is before they do anything and doesn't take into account yesterday was a Sunday :(
thanks

Irene
Redgate
Old Hand

Postby Janet McNally » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:14 am

Irene, I am not sure what Penpro is, but if it is a cillin, it is probably not the most effective drug to prevent infections in the uterus. While I understand the economics, do you not at least have a client/patient relationship with a vet that you cannot consult and find out what is the best antibiotic to use?

Janet
Janet McNally
Tamarack Prolific and Ile de France crosses
Minnesota
Janet McNally
Old Hand

Postby Brian Dietrich » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:19 am

Calling your vet to get advice on the proper antibiotic, dosage, route, and withdrawal time should cost you nothing. It is worth having the vet to your place once a year before the start of lambing season to ensure that there is basic knowledge of your operation and a valid relationship that is required for any prescriptions. Using penicillin as you did is technically illegal because it is not labeled for sheep. Hopefully she does well though.
Brian Dietrich
Siremax--Performance-recorded composite terminal sires
http://www.siremax.com

"Siremax--We know what's going on inside the sheep"
Brian Dietrich
Old Hand

Postby Redgate » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:16 am

Brian Dietrich wrote: Using penicillin as you did is technically illegal because it is not labeled for sheep. Hopefully she does well though.

Penpro is labelled for sheep. Also has the sheep dosage on the bottle so I am assuming it is not illegal to use it for sheep.

Irene
Redgate
Old Hand

Postby Redgate » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:22 am

Janet - we are fairly new with sheep. We do not have a relationship with a large animal vet. Unfortunately most around us are small animal and the few large animal ones do horses and cows.
The cost of veterinary care in Canada is off the scale in comparision to the US.

Irene
Redgate
Old Hand

Postby Brian Dietrich » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:34 pm

Redgate wrote:
Brian Dietrich wrote: Using penicillin as you did is technically illegal because it is not labeled for sheep. Hopefully she does well though.

Penpro is labelled for sheep. Also has the sheep dosage on the bottle so I am assuming it is not illegal to use it for sheep.

Irene

Sorry, I should have been more precise. It is only labeled for respiratory disease in sheep, so you are using it off-label without a vet's direction which is illegal. Many people don't realize this, so I was pointing it out for educational purposes.
Brian Dietrich
Siremax--Performance-recorded composite terminal sires
http://www.siremax.com

"Siremax--We know what's going on inside the sheep"
Brian Dietrich
Old Hand

Postby Muleflock » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:19 pm

In addition to Brians point about specific labeled use of a drug in food animals, drug labeling for a given compound varies widely from country to country adn very often from one species to the next.
Muleflock
Old Hand

Postby Redgate » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:21 pm

I was going by the following web site:
http://www.drugs.com/vet/penpro-can.html
It indicated it was OK to use it. I have to admit I lost the inner instruction label that came with the bottle so I was using this :)

Irene
Redgate
Old Hand

Postby Sunmill » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:22 pm

Redgate wrote:Janet - we are fairly new with sheep. We do not have a relationship with a large animal vet. Unfortunately most around us are small animal and the few large animal ones do horses and cows.
The cost of veterinary care in Canada is off the scale in comparision to the US.

Irene

I do not know the comparison between US and Canadian farm call charges but I agree with a previous poster that it is very helpful to do the yearly meet and greet so you can obtain the necessary advice and medications when these situations arise.

I would be more inclined to use a tetracycline type product for a uterine flush.
Also keep her hydrated, even if you need to tube electrolytes into her.
Sunmill
Old Hand

Postby Saffronsheepranch » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:21 am

If you do not wish to do the farm visit except for emergencies or to bring sick cases to them, at least, regularly buy supplies from the one you choose. This way you can chat with them every so often and they know what you are buying and what you are running and doing on your place. They should be willing to discuss your methods and plans with you and then they will take your calls.

So does that mean that vets make more in Canada then your doctors do?
Kirsten Wendt
Missouri
Saffronsheepranch
Old Hand

Return to Breeding and lambing