distressed ewe/??

A place to exchange ideas, stories, and to solve problems related to breeding the flock and delivering lambs.

distressed ewe/??

Postby Tama » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:50 pm

lost a ewe lamb in birth last nite and have questions for you guys.Found her outside 1700 about 10degrees in distressed state with water bag remains hanging out.She was head down standing a wreck physically so I went with assumption she could have dropped lambs and losing light checked high and low nothing.Put her in a jug and gloved to check but she did not appear dialated very far.She continued to push and I check again 1/2 hour still nothing as far as my big hands could tell in birth canal which is 6-7inches I gave her a bit and she started convulsing and foaming at mouth lost her just like that. Still nothing I could reach but a terrible stink I did not open her up but thisam I see feet and tongue just barely showing.I naturally feel like crap that I missed lamb. the questions I have how quickly will a ewe close back up? How long after ewe dies do you have to save a lamb if still in womb? What could I have done differently to save mother? The list goes on but start me with those.As you may guess I am fairly new to sheep world and have not had one in that much distress
Tama
Newcomer

Re: distressed ewe/??

Postby BIGIRON59 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:25 pm

If she was allready smelling pretty bad , my thoughts would have to be a late term abortion. The lamb is dead and decaying, the ewe will not dialate properly, and she will allready be toxic from the toxins released from the dead fetus. Nothing you can do with some of these,depending on the cause of the abortion.

In the case of an emergency c-section. As soon as the ewes heart stops pumping blood, the fetus begins to "suffocate" no blood , no oxygen. . I would have everything ready, shoot her, and cut her open. Depending on how close the ewes was to delivery, will decide the fate of the lambs. But 2 or 3 minutes at best.How long can you hold your breath? About that long They have to be at least 143 or more days gestation, or the odds are slim to none of haveing viable lambs. I have had very few that I saved. I have not had one that I had to do in years. Mostly a problem of old ewes, vitaimn, mineral problems, thin ewes, or ewes that have a litter and are losing ground fast.The lambs are weak and problematic as well.

Based on the descrition of the ewe, the lambs were dead for at least 24 hrs.
Starving sheepherder on the windblown tundra of Northwest Iowa
BIGIRON59
Old Hand

Postby Phil Crome » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:42 pm

I agree with everything written above, and would only add that if you have other ewes yet to lamb, now would be an excellent time for all of them to get a good dose of LA200 as a protection against an abortion storm.
Phil Crome

UA Local 23 Journeyman and part-time shepherd
Elizabeth, IL

"Have you had a fecal test done?": probably my epitaph.
Phil Crome
Old Hand

Postby Polypays4U » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:03 pm

Is LA-200 labelled for sheep?
Bill Hardman
Uncompahgre Polypay Farm
Delta, Colorado
The western home of productive Polypays.
Polypays4U
Old Hand

Postby BIGIRON59 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:46 pm

nope, and my vet has issued me a scpit to use it for abortion prevention in late gestation ewes. Widedly used in the midwest farm flock. and able to purchase at any farm fleet store. Perhaps you don't have those problems in the high plains.28 WD based on 4.5ml per100 lbs SQ
Starving sheepherder on the windblown tundra of Northwest Iowa
BIGIRON59
Old Hand

Postby Bill Fosher » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:01 am

Long-acting tetracycline injections are a fairly standard treatment for late-term infectious abortion, but you should always check with your vet before using anything off label in your sheep. The mere fact that something is available over the counter doesn't change the laws surrounding its use.
Bill Fosher
Westmoreland, NH
Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Return to Breeding and lambing