Lethargic lamb, mastitis ewe

A place to exchange ideas, stories, and to solve problems related to breeding the flock and delivering lambs.

Lethargic lamb, mastitis ewe

Postby Bill Fosher » Thu May 19, 2011 5:59 am

Hi all,

This is sort of a new one on me. I have a lamb born May 17 a.m. It started to get a little slow May 18 midday, and by evening was slightly chilled and hollowed up. Checked the dam and found mastitis -- milk so chunky I couldn't even strip her out. I brought the lamb home, warmed it from 97.9 to 101.8, and gave it a tube of milk replacer.

This morning it had crapped and was standing, temp is 102.2. I consider all these good signs. But it has no interest in sucking, and is making no sound at all (this latter is sort of okay with me, except that I know it's not right). He's hollowed up, but not dehydrated. Breath sounds are good, heart sounds strong. He's a little droopy all over, but his ears are not cold to the touch.

The lack of sucking seems like more than just nipple confusion. He just lets the warm milk replacer dribble out of his mouth. I can keep feeding by tube for now, but obviously that's not a long-term solution. I believe he got colostrum, as he was full and active at evening checks on the 17th.

Is it possible that he has a touch of whatever bug is in his mother's udder? Anyone have any experience with a lamb like this?
Bill Fosher
Westmoreland, NH
Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Re: Lethargic lamb, mastitis ewe

Postby kelpiegirl » Thu May 19, 2011 8:59 am

Do you hear any gut sounds? I know nothing compared to you, but to me it sounds as if he may need more than just food right now. What color is his feces?
Julie
Cheviot Hills Farm
kelpiegirl
Old Hand

Postby Looking4ewes » Thu May 19, 2011 10:36 am

I had one hypothermic lamb that took 3 days of tube feeding before she decided to suck. Now she's on a bucket feeder, so no worries now. Hth, Wendy
Wendy Villarreal
Looking4ewes
Old Hand

Postby Bill Fosher » Thu May 19, 2011 11:55 am

Croaked. His temp crashed this morning after feeding and by the time we realized he was in trouble he was down to 95 F. He died while I was getting the glucose ready.
Bill Fosher
Westmoreland, NH
Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Lana Rowley » Thu May 19, 2011 12:10 pm

Sorry Bill, it has been a cold lamb am here as well. I hope you can save the ewe.
Lana Mockler Rowley
10-7 Ranch
Oregon
Lana Rowley
Old Hand

Postby Bill Fosher » Thu May 19, 2011 5:51 pm

She's made her way on to the cull list, but it would be nice to make some sausage out of her rather than dig a hole.
Bill Fosher
Westmoreland, NH
Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Island Shepherd » Fri May 20, 2011 7:16 am

These type that you revive but are still depressed acting we have to keep not in a warming box maybe but under a heat lamp, and keep tubing until they can maintain 102 steadily on their own. They are always dopey about learning to suck but will come to it within a couple of days.

You could be right they get that rubbish in their gut to start with and it causes problems. She probably didn't have proper colostrum.
Island Shepherd
Old Hand

Return to Breeding and lambing