Ringwomb

A place to exchange ideas, stories, and to solve problems related to breeding the flock and delivering lambs.

Ringwomb

Postby Muleflock » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:34 am

Somewhere on the forum, I read about suspected mycotoxin induction of ringwomb? Can't find the thread but I thought a paper that can be found at the sight listed below would be of interest to those who have had this problem and thought it was nutritionally induced. Nancy Kerr PhD, DVM wrote a rather comprehensive paper on the subject while at West Virginia University titled ""The Occurrence, Etiology, and Treatment of Ringwomb in Ewes". A couple of facts brought out in the study revealed that in over 120 years of looking at it, ringwomb could not be reproduced in any research/experimental setting, and it was found to be genetic (1999). For it to happen, it requires that the ewe be carrying homozygous lamb(s) produced by a carrier ewe that is heterozygous and bred to a carrier ram that is heterozygous. It's good reading on a rainy day.

http://www.archive.org/details/occurrenceetiolo720kerr

Mark L
Muleflock
Old Hand

Re: Ringwomb

Postby cjhiemke » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:54 pm

Thanks Mark.

Here is the link you referred to: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3367.

I remember the discussion of moldy hay well - it had me very nervous just prior to the peak of lambing. I happily received sound advice from Dr. Leder - be patient. His advice was good; lambing went well. (Thanks again)
Cody Hiemke
Niman Ranch Lamb Program, Manager
Shropshire Breeder
NSIP Board Member
Town of Pleasant Springs, WI
cjhiemke
Old Hand

Return to Breeding and lambing