Metritis

A place to exchange ideas, stories, and to solve problems related to breeding the flock and delivering lambs.

Metritis

Postby kris » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:42 pm

I have 2 ewes being treated with antibiotics for metritis. One was on a 10 day regime, 2X /day and is now on an additional 14 day regime again 2X/day. The second one is just completing a 14 day regime, 2X/day.

My question is: Do I continue injecting the 2nd ewe for 7 more days for a total of 21 days? I am worried that I could be facing a similar situation as with ewe #1 and would like to avoid the bacteria building up in her uterus only to put her back on a second and longer regime of antibiotics.

What future breeding considerations should I be aware about for these ewes?

Kris
kris
Old Hand

Re: Metritis

Postby kris » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:38 pm

Our local vet is back now and we decided to go with 5 -7 more days just to be on the safe side.

Kris
kris
Old Hand

Postby Janet McNally » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:09 pm

Guess I've never treated a ewe beyond the three injections given every other day with a long acting tetracycline. Not saying its right or wrong, but I am not aware of any consequences either.

Janet
Janet McNally
Tamarack Prolific and Ile de France crosses
Minnesota
Janet McNally
Old Hand

Postby kris » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:20 am

Boy, am I learning that the protocols for British Columbia vet care for sheep and NE USA care are very, very different. I am still struggling to find a supplier for A&D vitamin that can be given sub Q, imagine that. I wish I would only be injecting these ewes once very couple of days not 2X/day.

Metirtis is a new condition for me. I am curious to know what experiences others have had with this and what recommendations there are.

Kris
kris
Old Hand

Return to Breeding and lambing