Neurological Problem?

A place to exchange ideas, stories, and to solve problems related to breeding the flock and delivering lambs.

Neurological Problem?

Postby gail » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:55 am

I have a lamb born last Sat that I think has some neurological issues & I've never really dealt with such a problem.

He was a fairly large single born to a first-time lambing almost 2-year old ewe. While he was large, it did not seem to be an unusually difficult or prolonged birth. He was obviously weak when born and was not very vigorous. I tubed him a couple times Sat & Sat night & he looked a bit better. Still very clumsy and uncoordinated, but managing to walk around.

Still weak & did not seem to be able to figure out how to nurse on Sun, so I either fed him by bottle (milked out the ewe) or tried to get him to nurse every couple hours. He was looking better, but still very uncoordinated. He also did not seem to open his eyes much (they looked normal though) and bobbed his head a bit when he was standing. He would also go stand in the corner.

Since Sun, there had been some improvement. He eats better - although I'm not sure whether he eats much if I don't push him toward the teat. Still very uncoordinated but he does walk around. Opens his eyes more but not fully. I have also found him standing in the water bucket a couple of times. He still has a bit of a head bob too. I have considered whether he was blind, but I think he can see - maybe just not normally or maybe he is just somewhat unresponsive to movement around him.

Definitely not a normal lamb. I doubt he would make it if I turned them out on the pasture now. But, I'm not sure what to do with him either. Whether time will improve his status at all, whether I can treat this at all. I think he is close to being able to make it on his own, but still needs some improvement. Any ideas or past experience?

Thanks, Gail
gail
Old Hand

Return to Breeding and lambing