LGD and Rams

Discussion of the training, use, and management of guard dogs, guard llamas, guard donkeys, guard goldfish, etc.

LGD and Rams

Postby Lana Rowley » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:19 am

We have had our LGD for about 9 months now. They are both young about 18 months, they were litter mates but not raised by the same person or in the same flock. We have been running net at the new place so they are in a smaller area then they were used to at the old place.

They both seem to be great guards, very aggressive to any predator but gentle to people. The problem is they love to romp and play with each other. We have dangles on them both because sometimes they start to run through the sheep when then get going. They end up getting tangled once a day which is a pain, so we have decided to separate them.

The question i have is it safe to put one of them with the rams? I would not use a dangle but i am concerned the rams may try to hurt him. There would be 4 rams in the corral.

When we start to winter feed( inside woven wire) we plan to separate the breed ewes and the non breed yearlings, so the LGD will not be together then.

Thanks Lana
Lana Rowley
Old Hand

Postby Lana Rowley » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:22 am

opps can u move this Bill i wanted it in the Gaurd dog section. Lana
Lana Rowley
Old Hand

Postby Bill Fosher » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:57 pm

Made the move.

I would say to put the dog in at a time when you can watch unobtrusively for a while and make sure that things are going okay. Rams can be very good teachers of playful guard dogs. But it's going to be tough to predict because rams are so variable, and the size of the corral will made a difference as well.
Bill Fosher
Westmoreland, NH
Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Janet McNally » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:52 pm

18 mo old dogs are much quicker than the rams are. As long as this corral has enough room there should be no problem. You could consider giving the dog a creep so he can eat his food in peace however.
I use rams to train rambunctious dogs to behave better.

having two young dogs playing together is not necessarily a bad thing, esp so long as they direct the rough housing toward each other and not toward the sheep.

Janet
Janet McNally
Tamarack Prolific and Ile de France crosses
Minnesota
Janet McNally
Old Hand

Postby DeltaBluez Tess » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:22 am

Taro, my 18 month LGD recently decided that the sheep were large chew toys and to be chased about. I would correct him but as soon as I would go to work, he would do it....the ewes would have wool pulled when I would get home....

SO...I just got a new Clum Forest ram that was tough with dogs. Slipped Taro into the pasture with Dutch and his gals....Taro went after his gals, they ran to Dutch and Taro got one, but two rolls, ass over tea kettle and since then, he doesn't maul the ewes and is wary of Dutch.

Dutch could care less about the LGDs....but the LGDs keep an eye on him

Diane
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Diane Pagel
DeltaBluez Stockdogs
www.deltabluez.com
www.deltabluez.blogspot.com
Carnation, Wa
DeltaBluez Tess
Old Hand

Postby Janet McNally » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:54 am

Hi Diane,

you could hire that ram out as a dog trainer!

Janet
Janet McNally
Tamarack Prolific and Ile de France crosses
Minnesota
Janet McNally
Old Hand

Postby Lana Rowley » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:40 am

Thanks for the tips. I put 2 rams in the pen with Boom and kept and eye on them all afternoon. The rams did not pay any attention to him, and this am the 3 were all curled up together in a ball. I will have to be careful when i add the other 2 rams who have not been with these two for a month. I am thinking i will divide the pen in half and for a while. Lana
Lana Rowley
Old Hand

Return to Guardian animals