Free dog

Discussion of the training, use, and management of guard dogs, guard llamas, guard donkeys, guard goldfish, etc.

Free dog

Postby Janet » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:55 pm

I've come across an 8 year old Great Pyr female who lost her job due to a divorce and loss of flock and farm. She is living without livestock right now. Any insight on how this dog might adjust to a new flock? Is 8 too old? Could I use her to train a younger dog as her future replacement? I'm told she is a mellow dog but needs a job. I will be looking at her this weekend. What should I look for and what questions should I ask?

Thanks!
Janet
Janet
Familiar Face

Postby Janet McNally » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:40 pm

At 8 years old, most dogs have proven to be trustworthy or have mellowed out, those that did not would not have lived to 8! So mostly I would concentrate on asking about her patrolling habits. Does she stay with the flock, does she patrol very far, if so how far? Then the usual stuff about how she gets along with people, children, pets, any quirks?

8 is indeed retirement age for a LGD, but retired dogs need a job too, we just don't let them know we got the young pup to help them out.

janet
Janet McNally
Tamarack Prolific and Ile de France crosses
Minnesota
Janet McNally
Old Hand

Postby Janet » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:57 pm

Janet, thank you! I am feeling really good about this dog, and as I have no LGD experience I think she will be a perfect start for me.
Janet
Janet
Familiar Face

Return to Guardian animals