New guardian

Discussion of the training, use, and management of guard dogs, guard llamas, guard donkeys, guard goldfish, etc.

Postby Chad » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:22 pm

I'm liking the tire idea. Would my Great Pyrenees, at five, be too old for this technique for any reason (not that I think she's too old and feeble to tow the tire)?
Chad
Little-Bo-Freakin'-Peep

Postby Laura L. » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:51 pm

Hi Chad,

No, 5 is not too old. What is your girl doing? Depending on the behavior & the dog, it could be on for up to a month. Just make sure that you're checking frequently so there aren't any problems with her getting stuck.

Laura
Laura L.
Old Hand

Postby Lana Rowley » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:05 am

Chad, we have now gone to a infalted Inner tube for our LGD. It is light but cumbersome so it discourages jumping over fences and such. One of our LGD is a big hunter of small animals like gofers, moles and unfortunately cats. I woke up one to many times wondering what the hell was outside the bedroom window digging in the flower beds(for moles). He only jumped over at night and would go back to his sheep, but I was getting worried he might get the barn cats and I am rather fond of them.

Lana
Lana Rowley
Old Hand

Postby John » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:11 am

The picture I just got in my head; a swimming tub for young child around the hips of a great big guard dog. I know it probably a serious matter but found it somewhat amusing.

John
John
Old Hand

Postby Lana Rowley » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:47 am

John, first thing my hubby said when he saw the LGD take of with the tube was "ohh God dont let James (the 3 year old) see that he will be on it!" So far so good, but that boy has a scary low fear level so i see grass burns any day 8)
Lana Rowley
Old Hand

Postby Lana Rowley » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:48 am

ps this is a big truck tire so it could hold a few kids!
Lana Rowley
Old Hand

Postby John » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:33 am

Ahhh, so he is polling it not wearing it…. Truck tire! James is probably saying PARTY, mix in a little snow or ice and he is good to go.
John
Old Hand

Previous

Return to Guardian animals