What kind of guard to start with?

Discussion of the training, use, and management of guard dogs, guard llamas, guard donkeys, guard goldfish, etc.

Re: What kind of guard to start with?

Postby dusty » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:29 pm

I got them at 5 months and the guy I bought them from has sheep they were around. But I think it is more of a penned up area where as we had put them out in a couple hundred acre pasture when they started to chase.
We have even more respect for the llama now. We were at our wits end for a couple days. We tied tires to the dogs hoping to slow them down, but that didn't work at all. The tires we had were either too light or too heavy. Llama gets more treats and respect from us now.
dusty
Newcomer

Postby lovetree » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:25 am

Hi Dusty,
If the dogs continue to chase, then you need to put a "dangle stick" on the dog as a disciplinary measure. The dogs need to learn as EARLY as possible that "chase " is simply not allowed, with or without the llama present. Seperating the dogs may also be a good idea.
Mary Falk / LoveTree Farmstead
home of the dual purpose Trade Lake Sheep and the nationally celebrated Trade Lake Cedar Cheese
NW Wisconsin
lovetree
Old Hand

Postby Janet McNally » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:46 am

there is a lot of variability in the Polish Tatra breed, and some are not cut out to be LGDs. However, at 8 months of age, their fate should not yet be decided. I would try the dangle stick as Mary suggested, and give them time to grow up.

Yes, very handy the llama intervened!

Janet
Janet McNally
Tamarack Prolific and Ile de France crosses
Minnesota
Janet McNally
Old Hand

Postby dusty » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:44 pm

They haven't done any chasing since the llama stepped in. They stick right with the sheep, that is where they want to be. I am very pleased with them and can't wait until they are older, I think they will be excellent.
dusty
Newcomer

Postby Janet McNally » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:47 pm

that sounds great Dusty! Maybe you could rent those llamas out as LGD trainers :D
Janet McNally
Tamarack Prolific and Ile de France crosses
Minnesota
Janet McNally
Old Hand

Previous

Return to Guardian animals