Wolf Moon, Hunger Moon

Discussion of the training, use, and management of guard dogs, guard llamas, guard donkeys, guard goldfish, etc.

Wolf Moon, Hunger Moon

Postby lovetree » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:40 pm

Well it seems that the full moon of early February has rightfully earned it's name. Our neighbor directly to the east of us has a 300 acre elk and deer farm, he lost three dear due to wolves this last week. It seems the wolf simply dug under...so much for 7 foot welded mesh fences. Aphis confirmed it as Timber wolf kills.
We have a group of ewes in the back of the property fenced in with electronet frozen in place, just a 40 length from our neighbors' deer farm. We have them in the middle of the wildlife refuge where they can get lots of wind break during this artic blast. Having working LGDs can sure make the diffeence between having livestock, versus having deadstock!!!
Mary Falk / LoveTree Farmstead
home of the dual purpose Trade Lake Sheep and the nationally celebrated Trade Lake Cedar Cheese
NW Wisconsin
lovetree
Old Hand

Postby Janet McNally » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:44 am

Hi Mary,

I would not be surprised if we hear of more livestock losses in this area. An open winter like this is hard on wolves. They depend upon deep snow and hard winters to weaken the deer and make it easier to kill them. No snow and mild weather make the deer stronger and harder to catch so wolves get hungry and turn to domestic animals.

We've had wolves in the area, but so far seem to have avoided our farm. There also seem to be an abundance of coyotes, red and grey fox...probably because we also have the most incredible bunny population explosion. Saw the movie 'open season' and could identify with the way they presented rabbits.

Janet
Janet McNally
Tamarack Prolific and Ile de France crosses
Minnesota
Janet McNally
Old Hand

Wolf Moon, Hunger Moon

Postby lovetree » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:30 pm

Hi Janet,
Even though there have been quite a few wolf sightings nearby, I was still a bit suprised to hear that it was deemed to be a wolf since the coyote and fox tracks around here look like a highway, I typically dont see that when wolves are in the area.
I definitley hear you about the bunnies...man oh man.....they are EVERYWHERE!!!! It is really quite comical to go out in the field and look at the pattern of the tracks from the coyote that is tracking them... and then to see the LGD tracks that are tracking the coyote and then of course, there are my tracks behind the LGDs'. Maybe I should start looking over my shoulders a bit more when I am out hiking through the woods LOL!!!
I saw an otter "snow slide" today..very cool!
Mary Falk / LoveTree Farmstead
home of the dual purpose Trade Lake Sheep and the nationally celebrated Trade Lake Cedar Cheese
NW Wisconsin
lovetree
Old Hand

Re: Wolf Moon, Hunger Moon

Postby Janet McNally » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:23 pm

lovetree wrote:Hi Janet,
I definitley hear you about the bunnies...man oh man.....they are EVERYWHERE!!!!

It is really quite comical to go out in the field and look at the pattern of the tracks from the coyote that is tracking them... and then to see the LGD tracks that are tracking the coyote and then of course, there are my tracks behind the LGDs'. Maybe I should start looking over my shoulders a bit more when I am out hiking through the woods LOL!!!
I saw an otter "snow slide" today..very cool!

Given the local cougar sightings lately....maybe you need to look UP! have you seen 'open season?' Bunnies were treated like they were a dime a dozen, the writers must live up here. For those who do not know, Mary and I live about 45 miles apart.

janet
Janet McNally
Tamarack Prolific and Ile de France crosses
Minnesota
Janet McNally
Old Hand

Return to Guardian animals