akbash?

Discussion of the training, use, and management of guard dogs, guard llamas, guard donkeys, guard goldfish, etc.

akbash?

Postby KristinK » Mon May 07, 2012 8:48 am

Is anyone using straight Akbash as their LGD? In reading through old posts here, it seems that every time Akbash is mentioned, it is part of a cross. Can anyone give me a rundown on the working pros/cons of the breed?

I just visited a breeder who uses her Akbash on sheep and alpacas and am thinking of getting a pup or pair of pups in the fall. They seemed like great dogs and hers are extremely trustworthy with people, including children.

Thanks!
Essex Farm
A full diet, year round, draft horse powered CSA
http://www.kristinkimball.com
KristinK
Newcomer

Re: akbash?

Postby Janet McNally » Mon May 07, 2012 3:25 pm

If you know someone who has (any breed) that has the qualities that you are seeking, then do not hesitate to go with a litter from that farm, regardless of the breed. There are a lot of good working Akbash out there.

Janet
Janet McNally
Tamarack Prolific and Ile de France crosses
Minnesota
Janet McNally
Old Hand

Postby OogieM » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:51 am

We have 1 pure akbash and he is a good dog. The source and working abilities are more important than the breed. Locally seems allt eh range flocks use akbash as their guardians.
Oogie McGuire
Black Sheep Shepherdess
OogieM
Old Hand

Postby Lawman » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:11 pm

I second what Janet said. I think there are more differences in dogs than breeds
Billy Hearnsberger
Joaquin, Texas
http://www.mudpuddleranchsheep.com/
Lawman
Old Hand

Postby PStetson » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:35 am

Akbash tend to have a large range--so if you have neighbors close by that don't want to see your dog you might want to rethink breed. In my personal 40 experience w LGDs I find its best to avoid a mix and go for the purebred whether its Pyrenees or Akbash or etc--we had an Akbash mix several years back who killed atleast one of our other LGDs--we thought it was a mountain lion until we saw him attack another dog..could just be an isolated incident but we take no chances w mixes..
PStetson
Newcomer

Postby Janet McNally » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:55 pm

PStetson wrote: In my personal 40 experience w LGDs I find its best to avoid a mix and go for the purebred whether its Pyrenees or Akbash or etc--we had an Akbash mix several years back who killed atleast one of our other LGDs--we thought it was a mountain lion until we saw him attack another dog..could just be an isolated incident but we take no chances w mixes..

Whether the 40 be years, or 40 dogs, I respect the experience, however, the research by both Green and Coppinger found hybrids between LGD breeds were overall more successful than the purebreds. Fighting between LGDs is not uncommon, be it for dominance, or sex, regardless of purebred or hybrid. My more serious fights have been among purebred dogs, but I think that is because my intact males and females are usually purebred, and the neutered males and females are usually hybrid. i.e. sexual status is the problem, not purebred vs crossbred.

Janet
Janet McNally
Minnesota
Janet McNally
Old Hand

Postby PStetson » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:03 am

know and appreciate Coppingers' work and have had a dog from them--it probably makes a difference the size of the operation, range and if the dogs are fixed or not--we were running bands of sheep(1000 ea) out on a big range at the time of Akbash fiasco and our dogs are always fixed...
PStetson
Newcomer

Postby Janet McNally » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:50 pm

Was this when two bands were near each other, or recently combined? I know when I bring groups of sheep back together the dogs first treat each other like strangers, and some fighting might occur. May I suggest this was more a circumstantial/individual incident. On my farm, the dog that presents the greatest challenge in picking fights at this time, is a purebred Maremma. All the rest are crosses and much mellower. But I don't think that is a purebred vs crossbred thing, I think it just reflects the temperament of the lines behind each dog.

Janet
Janet McNally
Minnesota
Janet McNally
Old Hand

Return to Guardian animals