Expect a lot more during the Center of the Nation Sale

A forum for discussion of these genetic measurement tools.

Expect a lot more during the Center of the Nation Sale

Postby Wclones » Sun May 06, 2012 2:32 pm

For seven years NSIP breeders have came to Spencer Iowa the last weekend in July to put production sheep with EBVs to back them up through an auction. It has grow into quite an event. Producer and Universities from across the country bring the highest indexing sheep they can and share those genetics with others. This year's CNS is even going to be more special. We are very excited to share the weekend with the "Using Technology to Attack the Grow with twoPLUS Initiative". The North Central Extension, Research and Academics (NCERA) committee has worked for nearly a year to put on the "Using Technology to Attack the Grow with twoPLUS Initiative" symposium. Speakers from all over the US will share their research. People like Richard Ehrhardt, Kreg Leymaster and Keith Inskeep. Iowa State University has set up a special website for registration and information. Spencer has limited motel space so please plan ahead.

http://www.aep.iastate.edu/sheep/homepage.html

This will be a great opportunity to network with the sheep researcher, NSIP breeders, and like minded producers from across the Nation. Hope to see you there!
Wclones
Old Hand

Re: Expect a lot more during the Center of the Nation Sale

Postby Duane » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:37 pm

I've been attending the Saturday morning sessions in prior years. So now there won't be anything for me on Sat morn unless I register for the two day event even though I can not attend the friday part?
Duane
Old Hand

Postby Wclones » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:41 am

Duane

The NCERA National Sheep Symposium will be the only meeting sessions going on during this year's sale. I'm sure there will be a way to be part of the Saturday morning session if you would like. There will also be a lot of activity in the barn with cosigners and producers viewing and discussing the many breeds that will be offered in the sale and the industry in general. Either way I think we will all learn, network, and feel more confident about the future of the sheep industry after that Saturday. I will be running between the seminar and the barn, please stop me and introduce yourself. I would love to meet you.
Wclones
Old Hand

Postby Duane » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:19 am

When is the sale catalog coming out?
Duane
Old Hand

Postby Wclones » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:59 am

Duane

The sale catalog should be printed this week. We had one of our universities that did not get their data in when they should. It back the catalog up a week. Anyone who would like to have a catalog, email your request to conover@conoverauction.com They would be happy to send you one. Hopefully it is in the mail next Monday. Everyone can also view the catalog on line at conoverauction.com

Last last entry list I saw had over 100 sheep. Breeds represented were Polypay, Suffolk, Hampshire, Dorset, and Columbia. We will have 4 new breeds over last years sale: Shropshire, Katahdins, Siremax, and Targee. It should be a wonderful selection of terminal, dual purpose, maternal, and wool breeds. I know the top 2011 NSIP Poly ram is in the sale. I think will will have several NSIP Suffolks in the top 1-2% of the breed. I think the Shrop that Cody is bring may be the top 2011 NSIP Shrop. Should be a great sale.

Also Duane, Dr. Morrical has agreed to special pricing to those who can only attend the Saturday morning session. That should be a great morning of meeting.
Wclones
Old Hand

Postby lambchop » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:58 am

Jerry,

I was under the impression that siremax was with lambplan and LP sheep were not allowed to sell in this sale.
Paul Lewis
White Dorpers with Lambplan EBV's
www.whitedorper.com
lambchop
Old Hand

Postby Wclones » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:35 pm

Paul

I enjoyed our conversation on the the phone. Again congratulations on the top selling Dorper on Sadalia. It sounds like his EBVs certainly helped his sale.

I thought I should post the answer to your question also. In case anyone else is curious. Since Mike and I started the sale, 7 years ago, it has has had two simple rules for entry: NSIP sheep with EBVs. We hoped it would increase interest in NSIP and it has. Cindy Wolf wanted to bring Siremax. She had the EBVs through Lambplan. We merely asked her to pay a NSIP flock fee to become to be a NSIP member. We are very excited to see her bring rams. In fact we have already had some inquiries about them and the catalog isn't even out.

Certainly wish you and Kathy could make it to the Symposium and Sale, but it sounds like your are really busy.

Jerry
Wclones
Old Hand

Postby rvos » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:10 pm

Have there been any thoughts on video taping and posting recordings of the sessions somewhere for those that are not able to attend the program?

Randall
rvos
Newcomer

Postby Wclones » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:50 pm

Randall

I think all attendees will get a DVD of the meeting. I think Morrical will have them available for sale for those who could not attend. I'm sure someone will post how to obtain it it after the meeting.
Wclones
Old Hand

Postby NDCurt » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:30 am

Following up on the DVD of the proceedings - Anyone know if and/or how available? Thanks
NDCurt
Familiar Face

Postby Wclones » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:23 am

I checked with Dr. Morrical and he said they are still working on the DVD. I make sure and post something as soon as it is available.
Wclones
Old Hand

Return to LambPlan and NSIP