t-post gate hinges

For discussion of tools like shearing gear, trailers, handling facilities all the way down the line to hoof shears. Sources, experiences, etc.

t-post gate hinges

Postby Rivenoak » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:49 pm

I am looking for some type of hardware that I could use on t-posts to be able to hang a gate on. The gates that I would hang would be some what short in length (at most 6-8ft), and the material would be a cattle/sheep/goat panel so there would not be a great deal of weight hanging on the t-post.

I look forward to suggestions.

Thanks,

Russ
Rivenoak
Newcomer

Postby Peg Haese » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:39 am

Try Wedge-Loc: http://www.wedgeloc.com/ and go down to the third paragraph. There is a link to their dealers at the bottom of the page.

Nylon rope might be cheaper though (the yuppy version of plastic baling twine).
Peg Haese, PNP Katahdins, far SW Wisconsin USA
Peg Haese
Old Hand

Postby MissTwist » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:39 am

Russ,
Have you heard of the Wedge-Loc system of t-post braces, etc.? They are a metal cuff and assorted attachments that allow you to run a fence on t-posts and brace the t-posts (using other t-posts) at corners. Anyway, they also make a hinge that is intended for use on t-posts. They are not cheap (around $20 for a set), but are designed specifically for hanging gates from t-posts. I don't know if they'd work for a cattle panel gate, since they are made for regular gates. Of course, then your hinges will have cost you more than your gate!

One place I know that carries the hinges is Kencove Fence Supply in PA. Tractor Supply carries all the pieces need for bracing, etc., but none of them around here had the hinges when I was looking for them.

Julie
Julie Poudrier
Oxford, NC
Tunis and mule sheep
MissTwist
Old Hand

Postby Peg Haese » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:54 pm

Julie, the Wedge-Loc web page suggests their hinges will work for galvanized panels as well as pipe gates. I haven't used their products but they do look interesting. The dealer list is quite extensive.
Peg Haese, PNP Katahdins, far SW Wisconsin USA
Peg Haese
Old Hand

Postby Rivenoak » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:22 pm

Thanks for the informaiton. I actually did look at the Wedge Loc and Kencove websites before posting my orginal message. I guess my thoughts were along the same lines, $20 for a set of hinges is more that the gate I would want to hang.

I googled for "t-post hinge" and I did come up with several individuals that have patents for a hinge. I guess that they are not mass produced.

I just thought that I would try here to see if anyone knew of such an item.

I guess that I will use the twine and wire that I have already used.

Thanks,

Russ
Rivenoak
Newcomer

Postby Tom Nichols » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:37 pm

Far better to swap Bill for one of his locust posts and do it right the first time.
Tom
Tom Nichols
Lebanon, Oregon
Tom Nichols
Old Hand

Postby Bill Fosher » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:09 pm

No dice. I shall hoard those posts.
Bill Fosher
Westmoreland, NH
Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby MissTwist » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:12 am

Russ/Peg,
I went to the trouble of buying the hinges (and I had contacted Wedge-Loc directly because when I called dealers near me who were listed on their site I kept being told they--the individual dealers I called--didn't have the hinges). I finally called the folks at Wedge-Loc directly and they sent me to Kencove, since they stock all of the WL items.

After all that trouble and paying all that $$, when we built the round pen (for a clinic that was being held here) the slight slope of the area gave us trouble with getting the bracing system right and so we ended up sinking wood posts anyway and hanging the gate the "old fashioned" way. Now I have a set of t-post hinges that I don't need. :?

If you know someone who does electrical work, you can get coated aluminum wire. We used the coated wire to attach cattle panels to the t-posts and it worked great. I think it would be ideal for hanging a light gate from a t-post as well (we ended up using wire from a well pump, but it's basically the same sort of thing--just thick copper with coating).

J.
Julie Poudrier
Oxford, NC
Tunis and mule sheep
MissTwist
Old Hand

Return to Tools of the trade