creek crossing

For discussion of tools like shearing gear, trailers, handling facilities all the way down the line to hoof shears. Sources, experiences, etc.

creek crossing

Postby Pam Wolf » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:58 pm

Hey, we are fencing now and will need ideas for a tough creek crossing. This was posted earlier, but I couldn't find the reference, so I am asking again for ideas. Hanging metal strips is the best option so far, and someone suggested something with barrels, I woul dlike more on the later

TIA,

Pam
Pam Wolf
Old Hand

Re: creek crossing

Postby Travis Johnson » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:08 am

Why couldn't you use bleach bottle as "floats" for the wire, or use float rope? Here the lobstermen are required by federal law to do away with it so you can get miles of it for free. Maybe not an option where you live, but by combining float rope with sink rope you could fence in a stream that rises and falls.
Travis Johnson

Postby Paul DeWitte » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:54 am

I think that the reply with barrels was using the 15 gal barrels that around here are very common. Dairy farmers get pipeline cleaner or something in them and then throw them away. They have a very sturdy handle that you could tie on to. They would go up and down with the water level.

The only problem that I see with that situation is if the water gets high enough it would also get to be a wider stream and may be wider than the barrels. It would be a cheap try though.
Paul DeWitte
Old Hand

Postby Janet McNally » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:56 am

those handles are not so sturdy after being exposed to the sun. I use these to deliver water to small groups of sheep in a pinch, and the handles break after a year or two outdoors.

Janet
Janet McNally
Tamarack Prolific and Ile de France crosses
Minnesota
Janet McNally
Old Hand

Postby dog » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:39 am

Pam Wolf wrote:Hey, we are fencing now and will need ideas for a tough creek crossing. This was posted earlier, but I couldn't find the reference, so I am asking again for ideas. Hanging metal strips is the best option so far, and someone suggested something with barrels, I woul dlike more on the later

TIA,

Pam

down here we have a number of solutions -

chains - we hang chains off an overhead wire - most livestock do not like to walk thro the chains. The chains do not impede the water flow or logs etc

break fence - this is a bit more complex and is usually done using galvanised tin - a guy wire is placed high across the creek the tin is hung from the guy wire and afixed to a bottom wire - this puts the guy wire under some pressure - when the flood hits the tin and the pressure gets too high the bottom wire breaks and the tin fence lifts up above the bed of the creek - the tin simply rides on the flow of the river. After the flood one only needs to fix the bottom wire.

Normally however most farmers will fence creeks etc completely to stop any access by livestock - they tend to do erosion damage to the creek banks. My northern and eastern boundary which is a riverlet is fully fenced above the flood line. Stock water is pumped from the creek etc to stock watering points.

Our Land & Water Conservation Dept has wanted for many years to make it law that water ways must be fenced however under common law we have riparian rights and very few governments are game enought to remove those rights.
dog
Old Hand

Postby Pam Wolf » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:59 am

Thanks for the suggestions. We are considering barrels right now. They may offer the best choice for this creek. But the crossing will come later. Got a neighbor complaining about the goats now that we surveyed and are putting up fence. He has an easement and apparently thinks he owned that land!!! Every time the creek rises the goats wander. heck, they really don't need the creek to rise <BG> They are goats after all. (OK, Bill, enough about goats!)
Pam Wolf
Old Hand

Postby Pam Wolf » Mon May 24, 2010 3:41 pm

Well, we had the opportunity to test the creek crossing and I am quite happy with it. The barrels floated, the debris went thru and it was good when the waters receeded! I plan to put another barrel crossing on the south end of the property when we get a roundtuit.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Pam Wolf
Old Hand

Return to Tools of the trade