sources of bolt_on/ chain_on bale spears

For discussion of tools like shearing gear, trailers, handling facilities all the way down the line to hoof shears. Sources, experiences, etc.

sources of bolt_on/ chain_on bale spears

Postby dhibbeln » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Folks,

Looking for mfg / sources of bolt_on/ chain_on bale spears for compact tractor with buckets (1,500 lb lift capacity). I'm only using 4ft diameter due to storage space..etc....

Saw one in Northern Tools (2011 fall Catalog) by Behland for some $350 w/o shipping and was wondering there are other options or if I should just buy a spear, some 12 packs of bottles and invite a bored local welder over for meal of fresh sweet corn, watermellon and mutton burgers...

Regards, Dave H.
NE of Albany, NY & 1,543 ft from VT
Dall Hollow Farm
Texas Dalls & they're NOT goats!
home of "stotting" lambs
dhibbeln
Old Hand

Re: sources of bolt_on/ chain_on bale spears

Postby Darroll Grant » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:41 pm

Dave,
I contacted my friend google. It appears there are a number of options going from $50 up from a number of sources. Even some on ebay.
Darroll Grant
western Oregon
Darroll Grant
Old Hand

Postby DonDrewry » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:11 pm

Dave,

For years we used a $50 spear we got from a neighbor. It slid over the end of the bucket. Best I can say is it did work, but in reality the spear was too large in diameter, it only had a primary spear without the two small guide spears, and it was very difficult to keep it tight on my loader. When we got a skid steer we found the balance of the bale was such that we needed to bring the center of gravity closer to the skid steer when handling the larger bales. We splurged bought a new spear with the quick attach. Price was in that $300 range. It's probably my favorite equipment purchase. Now we just drive up pick up a bale and take it where we want.

Nothing wrong with the lower price spears in my book as long as the really replicate the new, designed for it spears. When I bought my I googled and went to several dealers and didn't find anything that I thought was acceptable that mated to my skid steer.
Don Drewry
DonDrewry
Old Hand

Postby Rockinmywaypa » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:50 pm

I'm still using one I made some 20 yrs ago using a truck axle as a spear. It's bolted to a plate that slips onto the qa plate on the tractor. I don't know now if they were chev ford or dodge but they taper down as they get to the point, makes them easier to sharpen and pierce a bale. cost... 10 bucks maybe.
Rockinmywaypa
Familiar Face

Postby Sylvia Murray » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:50 am

We have good luck looking for attachments on Everything Attachments website. Changing over to a QA plate was the best thing we ever did for our compact tractor.
Sylvia Murray
Alder Brook Farm
www.alderbrookromneys.com
Sylvia Murray
Old Hand

Postby DonDrewry » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:45 am

Rockinmywaypa wrote:I'm still using one I made some 20 yrs ago using a truck axle as a spear. It's bolted to a plate that slips onto the qa plate on the tractor. I don't know now if they were chev ford or dodge but they taper down as they get to the point, makes them easier to sharpen and pierce a bale. cost... 10 bucks maybe.

The QA interface would be a major upgrade from the one our neighbor made that clips over the end of the snow bucket. I seem to remember my neighbor telling me the spear was also from a truck axle. The combination of not being rigidly enough attached to the bucket and the diameter of the spear made a big difference. Our purchased units main spear is probably 2" in diameter with the stabilizing spears being probably a little over 1" in diameter. The home made unit spear is 3" in diameter and the round bales I get are just too tightly packed to easily penetrate with that big of spear.

I can easily see how someone with a welder and collection of steel could make one for a low cost in parts. Once you have the plate that attached to the QA it's not something that needs precise machining.
Don Drewry
DonDrewry
Old Hand

Postby dhibbeln » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:07 am

Folks,
Found source of bale spear parts..

http://www.sloanex.com

1 3/4" dia 49" long spear, 1500 lb cap, 34.99 with sleeve at 8.99...

thanks for all the suggestions.

I think I'm going to end up buying one due to time....

Dave
NE of Albany, NY & 1,543 ft from VT
Dall Hollow Farm
Texas Dalls & they're NOT goats!
home of "stotting" lambs
dhibbeln
Old Hand

Postby sloeffle » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:47 pm

I got a bale spear for the front end loader on my tractor from.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HAY-BALE-SPEAR- ... 483c8efda5

Item number 830190 - it has a chain and turn buckle that hold it on the bucket.

I have been very happy so far. The fit and finish is not the best but it does a great job for what it is.

Scott
sloeffle
Old Hand

Return to Tools of the trade