Two fencers on one fence

For discussion of tools like shearing gear, trailers, handling facilities all the way down the line to hoof shears. Sources, experiences, etc.

Two fencers on one fence

Postby Bob » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:01 pm

I am wondering about putting a second fencer on my fence network.

I recently acquired the neighboring farm. My current 60 acre network of fence wraps around the newly acquired land (I've put the original 80 acre parcel back together). The farmstead and barn yard of the new land is on the inside corner of my fence, and I've just put up a barnyard fence around the new barnyard.

It would be very easy for me to put a fencer in the buildings of the new farmstead. The fencers would be serving the same fence, but from two different locations. The advantage would better voltage when the sheep are near the new farmstead. I have a multitude of cut off switches on the system, and could separate the two fencers with them. But, to err is human, if they are connected and working concurrently, will I damage the fencers?

Looking for insight,

Bob
Bob Leder
Bear Creek Sheep Station
Bear Creek, WI
Commercial Crossbreeds with Booroola Gene
Bob
Old Hand

Re: Two fencers on one fence

Postby Brian Dietrich » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:22 pm

Bob,

If the two fencers get hooked to the same fence it will likely damage the fencers and certainly void the warranties. Most have big bold letters that warn against that. It's kind of like making a little lightening of your own!
Brian Dietrich
Siremax--Performance-recorded composite terminal sires
http://www.siremax.com

"Siremax--We know what's going on inside the sheep"
Brian Dietrich
Old Hand

Postby Darroll Grant » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 pm

Set the fencers on separate fences. Even if the fencers survived anything coming in contact with the fence might not. Big liability potential if there was a problem.
Darroll Grant
western Oregon
Darroll Grant
Old Hand

Postby Janet McNally » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:55 pm

Having done this I can say that the stronger fencer will win :shock: It may take a little time but you will burn out one or both. So you will want to separate the fences somehow.

Janet
Janet McNally
Tamarack Prolific and Ile de France crosses
Minnesota
Janet McNally
Old Hand

Postby Bob » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:37 am

To all,

Thanks for you your input. If I do this I'll separate the fences, and/or operate only one fencer at a time, that which is closest to the sheep.

Bob
Bob Leder
Bear Creek Sheep Station
Bear Creek, WI
Commercial Crossbreeds with Booroola Gene
Bob
Old Hand

Postby Bill Fosher » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:27 am

Because I always use a solar/battery energizer and therefore have limited throw weight, I've found that the best thing to do is to electrify as little fence as possible. I have lots of cutout switches on the perimeter so that I can only power what I need to in order to get juice on the subdivision fences.

The perimeter fence is a 48 inch solidlock woven wire fence with a single electrified strand running around the top of it. The only time when I try to electrify the whole thing and all the electronet within it is when coyote pressure is at a high level, usually August to October.

I like the idea of having two energizers -- critical components should have ready replacements on hand -- but as others have said don't ever run them both at the same time unless the fences are disconnected from one another.
Bill Fosher
Westmoreland, NH
Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Return to Tools of the trade