trampling alfalfa

Here's the place for oldies but goodies -- topics that have not been active for a while but that contain excellent information that users may want to refer to later.

Postby Janet McNally » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:34 pm

did I worry about bloat? yes
did it happen? no

I kept them full, and moved them after it was dry. Since it was such a dry year I only twice had to fret about wet alfalfa. no bloat this time.

janet
Janet McNally
Tamarack Prolific and Ile de France crosses
Minnesota
Janet McNally
Old Hand

Postby Lana Rowley » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:58 am

Janet, i guess we will just go slow and keep a good eye on them. The stuble looks so rich and there is much more feed than we have sheep. We are waiting to see how the first year goes before we expand the herd too much too soon. Thanks. Lana
Lana Rowley
Old Hand

Postby Lana Rowley » Thu May 29, 2008 4:21 pm

Janet, did the trampling effect the re growth?

Lana
Lana Rowley
Old Hand

Postby Janet McNally » Thu May 29, 2008 9:15 pm

Hi Lana,

I have not looked closely for a while, but the early spring growth looked good albeit slow like everything else around here. Everything I read said that trampling the crowns, esp in very wet muddy conditions, is not good for alfalfa. I suspect that because it was so dry, that might mean less damage.

Janet
Janet McNally
Minnesota
Janet McNally
Old Hand

Postby Janet McNally » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:17 am

Here is an update on the impact of trampling during drought on regrowth of alfalfa. It appears to have had no negative effects. We had a beautiful crop of alfalfa this year. There was less alsike, which is a good thing. I have not checked to see if alsike is a biennial or not, so the loss of alsike may or may not have had to do with trampling and dry weather.

here is a photo of third crop in October 2008.

Janet McNally
Minnesota
Janet McNally
Old Hand

Re: trampling alfalfa

Postby Lana Rowley » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:52 pm

Janet, how many lbs of sheep per acre were you running? How old were the lambs when you started to graze the alfalfa? Did you leave the tall stuff up, or mow the waste after?

We are going to graze about 45 acres of alfalfa this year, and not hay it...at least this first cutting, we will see how that goes, and how much other grass we have.

We are going to try and set 3 wire up for two sides, then use the net to break the areas so we can just pull cross net down and save on some day labor.

Thanks

Lana
Lana Rowley
Old Hand

Previous

Return to Archives