Satellite internet ISP's

Need some wool for your new line of products? Looking to sell some lamb sausage? Post it here. See announcement for terms and conditions.

Satellite internet ISP's

Postby dhibbeln » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:37 am

Folks,
I may have to get a bigger pipe to the net. My past life may be demanding I have to shepherd some misbehaving bytes and bits and some horned silicon life forms.

I'm looking into getting Exede Broadband http://www.exede.com

They're offering 12MB down/3MB up with VoIP procotals (means I can use vonnage, magic jack, skype etc)

Last time I played with Satellite Internet was on a enterprise commerical level so I don't know dit about the consumer side.
ViaSat owns Exede (aka Wild Blue). ViaSat has some portable terminals (SurfBeam® 2 Broadband System) that if you had deep pockets you could use when out on the range for months at a time.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Exede Consumer Side...

Regards,
Dave H.
NE of Albany, NY & 1,543 ft from VT
Dall Hollow Farm
Texas Dalls & they're NOT goats!
home of "stotting" lambs
dhibbeln
Old Hand

Re: Satellite internet ISP's

Postby Lawman » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:15 pm

Here's what I know about satellite internet..Hughes sucks.. :x
Billy Hearnsberger
Joaquin, Texas
http://www.mudpuddleranchsheep.com/
Lawman
Old Hand

Postby Justin-PA » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:39 pm

We had hughesnet for a few years. It was certainly faster than dial up but the weather easily affected it. There was also a limit to how much data you can download in a 24 hr period. Inthink Wildblue has the same limitations

A couple years ago a neighbor found out that if a certain % of people in a given service area sign a petition, then Verizon HAD to install DSL. We did that, it took them 2 years to do it, but now we have DSL and it is much faster, more reliable, and a lot cheaper to boot.

If your only options are dial up or satellite, then you might give it a try. Otherwise even a cellular wifi connection would be better.
Justin Wetzel
Wetzel Sheep Ranch
Wattsburg, PA
Justin-PA
Old Hand

Postby dhibbeln » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:37 pm

Justin,

Good Idea...

I'm in a cell tower shadow. You can get cell 1/4 from me in any direction, but not on my land...its microwave free zone...<sigh> and when/if you get service its only one bar and when the leaves out out and there wind is right you have to 1/2 mile way...ain't gonna get cell for years...

PA might different laws then NY State. Tho I will check into it....part of our problem is that I am 10 miles from fiber on telco easements. Sucks behing 1/2 between two villages. and those villages have cable, but no DSL. Verizion in NY State is reducing all service investments in our area. They just don't want to be in the landline biz no more. I was looking at the batteries in a cross-connect the other day. They are from 1999 and terminals are totatlly corrected. No wonder we loss service when power goes down.

Execde when live in January 2012. Mostly E and W coasts due to sattilte placement, but expanding into the center of country. They're not selling into Metro areas with cable, dsl. fios, (fiber) etc. They appear to have a hurdle getting over the bad experience folks had with hughes net and wild blue.

Regards,
Dave H.

Regards,
Dave H.
Dall Hollow Farm
home of "stotting" lambs
dhibbeln
Old Hand

Postby Lawman » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:07 am

Dave, I can get Excede where I live. Do you think it would be any better than Hughes?
Billy Hearnsberger
Joaquin, Texas
http://www.mudpuddleranchsheep.com/
Lawman
Old Hand

Postby Hodgepodge » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:58 am

Do not discount the use of cell phones. I can get 0 to 1 bars at my property and drop calls constantly. If you can get any signal at all, it is possible to make the internet work. The use of a usb cell adapter, EDVO router, passive gain antenna connected to the cell adapter, and a high end building cell amplifier makes it possible for me to use an aircard signal which gives me 3 to 4 bars at the computer. The total cost of equipment for me to do this is about $700 (ordered off the internet, local prices are near double). I also do not use a landline so I use both cell internet and normal cellphone. If I wanted to I could further upgrade to a directional antenna but I would need to pay someone with equipment to aim it or spend a lot of trial and error time.

I know 3 people using Wildblue, 2 hate it and one loves it. Likely a matter of perspective or expectations. I don't see anything substantially different between Wildblue and Exede other than a name change. I have bought 2 different cell phone cards from a dealer who also sells Wildblue. All the employees are unanimous when I go in that cellular is the way to go if at all possible. The cell phone is not as good as DSL, but it sure beats dialup.
Jerek Hodge
Southwest Oregon Coast
Hodgepodge
Familiar Face

Postby dhibbeln » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:06 am

Hodgepodge wrote: The total cost of equipment for me to do this is about $700 (ordered off the internet, local prices are near double)..

I had given thought to that type of solution, but then I'd have an electronic leash (aka cell phone) and I like being able to use my old roatary dial phones when the lighting strikes fry the electronic phones. If landline goes the way of the dodo, its a way to go. Lots of folks don't realize that cell service is basically radio and lots of issues can be solved by amplifiers and improved antennas. In the early days of cell (the brick style phone) I could make calls from inside the Lincoln / Holland Tunnels and from inside of steel framed buildings. But the cell sites had high wattage and my phone was high wattage, so many of the towers are down to 0.125 watts due to location.

Hodgepodge wrote:I know 3 people using Wildblue, 2 hate it and one loves it. Likely a matter of perspective or expectations. I don't see anything substantially different between Wildblue and Exede other than a name change.

If the specs are right and since its a different technology it should be a big difference. For example you can do VoIP (Voice over Internet Proctocal) which means you can cut the cord to Grandma Bell's offspring and use Vonnage, etc for phone. Can't do that with Wild Blue and Hughesnet at present.

Lawman wrote:Dave, I can get Excede where I live. Do you think it would be any better than Hughes?

If I read the specs right, yes. Until I test it, I don't have a clue. I've done speed tests on hughes net on neighor's system and with the accelator programs I'm faster on dial-up, and cheaper then her setup, as long a I don't do movies, music, heavy graphic sites. Being a charter member of the ASCII Bandwithe perervation socieity, I am that the net was designed for text, not images.
Dall Hollow Farm
home of "stotting" lambs
dhibbeln
Old Hand

Postby Bill Fosher » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:08 pm

Dave,

I was a victim of WildBlue for a while when we first moved here. We have DSL now. WildBlue fails when it rains, is too cloudy, or even during a heavy fog, and I bet I'm second only to Island Dave in terms of hours fogged in per year. WildBlue will also fail if adverse weather exists at the downlink site. NB that I said the downlink site.

Now, this was all several years ago. They may have gotten better. I would try anything else, including cell phone wifi -- or making a daily trip to the library -- first.
Bill Fosher
Westmoreland, NH
Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby dhibbeln » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:30 am

Bill Fosher wrote:Dave, WildBlue fails when it rains, is too cloudy, or even during a heavy fog, and I bet I'm second only to Island Dave in terms of hours fogged in per year.

Ya, one of the many reason I stayed with dialup & accellator all these years. Could not justify costs of Wildblue and it's ilk for the service levels I saw. But then I used to have a T-1(think 5" inch fire hose in terms of speed and volume) when I lived closer to concrete.....<ah, the days>

Technical term for that failure mode is "rain fade". Common to any "microwave" transmission. Ecountered it first when helping to setup IP networks on oil-rigs in gulf. If your or neighbors have direct tv/dish you can get a feel for the same issues with any of the retail isatellite internet products. To beat heavy fog you need equipment the retail customer can't afford....

The reason I'm eager to try excede is the upload/dowload speeds. I can put up with the minimal amount of rain fade, thunderstorm loss. If I can have VoIP also, I can save on phone cost (and keep my landline for local service) and also have phone service in power outages via my UPS system for the computer and satellite systems as well as my generator. My UPS will filter out the dirty power from any generator I put in.

Regards,
Dave H.
Dall Hollow Farm
home of "stotting" lambs
dhibbeln
Old Hand

Postby Bill Fosher » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:14 pm

Not sure what effect latency would have on VOIP. I think wildblue said flat out that it wouldn't work.
Bill Fosher
Westmoreland, NH
Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby dog » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:39 pm

Bill Fosher wrote:Not sure what effect latency would have on VOIP. I think wildblue said flat out that it wouldn't work.

there is a 35 sec delay up and down on satellite which makes Voip not feastible -It takes the signal 35 secs to travell the distance from the earth station to the satelite, my supplier started out supplying Voip but there were so many problems and everyone got sick of the delay that they canned Voip
dog
Old Hand

Postby dhibbeln » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:59 pm

hmmn,
a quick survey of the geeky stuff indicates that VoIP is working well on Excede with few issues with latency, some folks are reporting issues with video conferencing but that is bandwidth intensive. Also might be a scale issue, and as they add users the latency will increase. Latency improvement might also be function of better ground station dishes and transponders for retail. Same Satellite does the VoIP for the military, corps, and gov. Just a question of quality of ground station stuff...

Also seems Hughes is talking new equipment with 20MB Down 8MB Up.

I'm going to wait till I can find someone else whose using before I buy....
it's nice to have a reason to leave home BTW....

Regards,
Dave H.
Dall Hollow Farm
home of "stotting" lambs
dhibbeln
Old Hand

Return to Products For Sale or Wanted